We at Fairfield have a different approach to Dementia Care. We have moved from institutionalised task based care lacking real emotional connection to a model of care where the emotional needs of our residents is at the center of how we approach our day.
In 2013 we embarked on a year long training and educational programme involving Dr. David Sheard (www.dementiacarematters.com) and his company Dementia Care Matters. His approach has revolutionised how our residents live their lives in our Nursing Home.
We cannot yet fix dementia as a condition but we can fix our approach.
Our approach is based on
- Accepting a person’s reality
- Make the person feel they matter
- Connect and be with people moment by moment
- Surround our resident with memories
- Remembering that a person with dementia “CAN STILL FEEL”.